Celery & Celeriac Soup
Cream of celery & celeriac soup:
- Medium chop one head of celery and one white onion.
- Add a splash of oil to a large pan (it will need to be big enough for all the soup), once hot add the celery and onion.
- Add salt and continue to fry without colouring.
- If you’d like to add herbs, bay & thyme would work well here
- Peel and chop a celeriac root into half inch cubes
- Once the vegetables are softened and smelling sweet, add the celeriac, keep cooking & stir regularly
- Once the celeriac has softened as feels almost cooked through then cover the mixture with either boiling water or stock (veg/chicken)
- Boil aggressively until all the ingredients are completely soft – top up with water/stock as required
- Once completely cooked through blend the contents of the pan with a stick blender
- It’s now up to you as to how you finish it – it’s fine right now but you can do the following:
- Pass through a sieve to make it really smooth (if you don’t do this then make sure you remove the thyme & bay)
- Reheat with some double cream to make it more luxurious (how much you add is up to you & your diet!)
- Toss cubes of bread in olive oil, bake until crispy, toss with grated parmesan and bake again until melted (these are great in pretty much any soup)
- Serve hot and I feel this needs a fair bit of black pepper.
Picture from @meatfreeMCR