Finnish inspired spiced plum soup
Finnish inspired spiced plum soup.
This is loosely based on a Finnish Christmas recipe. I’ve anglicised it and hopefully made it a bit lighter.
1 standard punnet of plums
500g assorted dried fruit (currants, raisins etc, not apricots)
4-5 Earl Grey tea bags
Sugar/honey to taste
Spices, to include cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, cloves (2/3 max!), paprika – your own choice really, as much or as little as you choose
1 whole mild chilli
- Put the dried fruit & teabags in a large bowl, cover completely with boiling water & leave overnight
- Remove the teabags and put the fruit & liquid into a large pan over a high heat
- Add the spices and boil hard (cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, the chilli etc in a muslin bag for easy retrieval later), add water as required
- De-stone the plums, coarsely chop and add
- Boil hard until the plums have cooked all the way through
- Using a stick blender, process the soup until liquid – at this point you can pass through a sieve or not, depending on how smooth you want the soup to be
- Return the soup to the pan and add sugar/honey to taste, the original version uses masses of sugar but use as much/little as you want
- Blend again to ensure everything is thoroughly mixed
- This will hold for a day or two in the fridge
- Reheat to serve, it probably doesn’t want to be piping hot as there’s a fair bit of sugar in it, a large scoop of quality ice cream is a very good idea.